www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Third Party FOSS licenses
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 22:14:38 GMT
On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/csv/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.java?r1=1638699&r2=1641845
>
> Here we see an arbitrarily chosen contribution. See how the text in the
> contribution (arguably the + lines) bears a resemblance to the state before
> (the - lines). Contribution is a derivative work of the Apache product.
>
> And so the contributor who entered those + and – lines presumably created
> a derivative work. Then he contributed it back to Apache under the ALv2.
> Even I've used SVN for that kind of stuff. What's so strange about that?
> Our website and procedures make that easy.
>

> Apache itself didn't create a derivative work.

So let's say that the contribution includes a piece of code under a license
with conditions on derivative works.

You're saying that those conditions apply to the contribution to Apache,
but at that point Apache release it, it is now a collective work and the
conditions no longer apply (allowing for a very permissive policy because,
hey, it's all collective work)?

Hen