www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Third Party FOSS licenses
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 21:37:52 GMT
On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > What I mean is that most contributions are derivative works
>
> > of the Apache product they are contributing to.
>

> That is a level of recursion (and time travel) that I never imagined. My
> imagination is weak. But I'll grant the hypothetical.
>

> It is always true that a derivative work of an ALv2-licensed Apache
> project may be contributed back to us under ALv2 or any other appropriate
> FOSS license. This is good!

?

No time travel.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/csv/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.java?r1=1638699&r2=1641845

Here we see an arbitrarily chosen contribution. See how the text in the
contribution (arguably the + lines) bears a resemblance to the state before
(the - lines). Contribution is a derivative work of the Apache product.

--

So I'm struggling to understand why you would say that Apache products are
a collection of contributions, and focus on collective works with your

Hen