www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Understanding non-release licensing at the ASF
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2015 20:24:20 GMT
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Roy Fielding <fielding@adobe.com> wrote:

> Any code granted to the ASF includes a license to redistribute it as we see
> fit, consistent with our purpose.
> Hence, the code is published by us UNDER OUR LICENSE as soon as anyone
> retrieves it from any of
> our servers, including svn.  The headers and accompanied license file might
> say it is GPL (which it also is),
> but our distribution is covered by the Apache License because that is the
> limit we will enforce.

I'll note that if it turns out that it is determined that the person
who granted the ASF the code in question did not, in fact, have the
necessary authority to do so, then we need to remedy that situation.
Generally that means that we either need to comply with the original
terms under which the code is made available, or remove the code.

- Sam Ruby