www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Third Party FOSS licenses
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 21:39:33 GMT
On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Many people, including many with law degrees, feel that this policy is necessary
and appropriate.  This has been validated many times - not only on this list, but on other
ASF foundation lists, and on lists for other foundations.

> Please name them!  Or better still, encourage them to speak up here. Especially the many
with law degrees.

You have unsuccessfully attempted to make your case across many
mailing lists spanning multiple foundation.  Many of these lists only
have private archives.

Within the last two weeks, we have had -- on this very list -- input
from Luis Villa:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201507.mbox/%3CCAFPTOkVyNCvCYDQ%2BWng%2BqV3ZOXy-MpwChJn02F6sSgDXy9j4hQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

In this case, I think we can presume that his Wikipedia page is authoritative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Villa

You are welcome to continue to believe that Luis and published
statements by Creative Commons are mistaken; just be aware that the
criteria that what Jim has indicated that he is looking for is
clarity.  If is not sufficient that you personally believe that
everybody else is mistaken -- until there is sufficient clarity the
Legal Affairs committee with consider that such licenses are
problematic.

> You don't like me repeating myself. Then maybe you should let those people express themselves
instead of me hearing you over and over with the same reply and the same hearsay partial quotes
from ancient archives.

I do not believe that published statements on the Creative Commons
website are heresay.

- Sam Ruby