www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Finishing release policy codification
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 19:21:47 GMT
Following development doesn't make an individual a contributor, or more
specifically a developer. Just following the dev ml makes the individual at
best a user.

But then again, the definitions of the first two hats/roles (here:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles) makes the
follow-up in other ASF documents more difficult.

It would be better (meaning in the way of reduction or avoidance of
ambiguity) to redefine the first two hats/roles as:

*User*
A user is a person or organisation experiencing a benefit from
the contributions made to the ASF in general or a project in particular

*Contributor*
A contributor is a person who contributes to a project of the ASF and
therefore to the ASF. Contributions are (but not limited to) participations
in mailing lists, conferences, providing improvements to code,
documentation, supplying suggestions and criticism to further the project
in particular and the ASF in general. Recognized contributors are
contributors who have also a signed Contributor License Agreement (CLA)
<http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas> on file.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*