www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Understanding non-release licensing at the ASF
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 20:15:10 GMT
Ross and Jim have shed a number clues to correct my miss-understanding of
the licensing provenance of non-release artifacts here at the ASF, and I'd
like to codify my understanding in the fewest words possible.

1. Apache Software Foundation Releases are licensed and distributed under
the Apache License 2.0, along with other compatible licenses as applicable
to any non-Apache-licensed components included in that release.

2. What is published to its websites (and external entities such as
YouTube) are all Copyright the Apache Software Foundation, and is
generally(?) licensed under the Apache License 2.0.

3. The Apache Software Foundation Subversion and GIT repositories, patches
attached to the ASF bug trackers, and all other non-release artifacts such
as snapshots and nightly builds are neither Copyright nor Licensed by the
ASF, but are Copyright and Licensed by the individual committers and
contributors who submit their proposed code, edits and patches to the ASF.

In short, only the work product, what is formally "published" to the web
sites, youtube, and in release packages is subject to an ASF grant of AL
content.  Everything else, submitted under the terms of ICLA/CCLA
agreements, direct assignments and pursuant to section 5. of the AL are all
AL 2.0 copyright licenses granted by individual submittors.

Is my understanding correct?  If not, where are the remaining disconnects?

Bill