www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Understanding non-release licensing at the ASF
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:17:30 GMT
Thanks for taking the time to shed light on this discussion on both posts.
Clarification requested...

On Aug 25, 2015 9:28 PM, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 2:08 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> > I've asked this question on the thread where the discussion originated,
but I'd
> > like to repeat it here to add to the list of points that I would like
> > to see explicitly
> > validated:
> >
> > 4. Because of language in ICLA, the "Grant of Copyright License" is
specifically
> > targeting "the Foundation and [to] recipients of software distributed
> > by the Foundation"
> > and as such does NOT guarantee that contributions NOT included into a
formal
> > ASF release (since only releases can be considered distributed) are
> > licensed under
> > the ALv2.
>
> No, anything we distribute has been distributed, and this license applies
> to all recipients of all software we distribute (including software that
> doesn't contain that contribution).
>
> > IOW, if an entity outside of ASF takes non-released contributions said
entity
> > needs to obtain a separate license Grant of Copyright License from
original
> > contributors OR wait for ASF to produce a release.
>
> Absolutely not.

But the operative function here is a license to our Copyright.  If the ASF
has not published, and therefore not copyrighted the code, the license has
simply been granted by another author.

Going to Jim's point, when does GPLv2 code granted to the ASF to relicense
get 'published' as an ASF work?  Not if committed verbatim with GPL
LICENCE.  So when?  The moment an ASF committer changes the
LICENSE/NOTICE/individual copyright headers?  When it is assembled as a
snapshot/nightly build?  When it is advanced as a vote to release?  Or when
the code is approved by the PMC as a release?