www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Finishing release policy codification
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 05:52:54 GMT
On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:58 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Bug submitters are a corner case.  The development community is still
>> essentially the "people following the dev list (or searching its archives)".
>
> I mentioned bug submitters because they are a particularly common case
> where snapshots are useful, not just to try and find all possible use cases.
> I don't think they are a corner case.

Here's the problem, sebb.  Not everybody likes the current policy.  If we
deviate too much from its language, we're about to plunge into a weeks-long,
multi-hundred-email quagmire.

I have two different branches to present.

The first tweaks yesterday's branch in an attempt to accommodate your
concerns.

    https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/commits/unreleased_dist_v2
    https://gist.github.com/rectang/42804b2825d3634241cf (interdiff)

The second punts.  It reverts back to language extracted from the current
policy, with only superficial modifications (such as using "MUST", "SHOULD",
etc).  I imagine you will find it imperfect -- but then the current policy is
also imperfect.

    https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/commits/unreleased_punt_v1

It would be a minor disappointment to have to give up on clarifying that
aspect of release policy, but we can't let that block the whole initiative.

Marvin Humphrey