www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Understanding non-release licensing at the ASF
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:34:31 GMT

> Any code granted to the ASF includes a license to redistribute it as we see fit, consistent
with our purpose.
> Hence, the code is published by us UNDER OUR LICENSE as soon as anyone retrieves it from
any of
> our servers, including svn.  The headers and accompanied license file might say it is
GPL (which it also is),
> but our distribution is covered by the Apache License because that is the limit we will
enforce.

The important point here is that if the said file was under GPL,
for example, and the entity which granted it to the ASF has
copyright to it, then its existence on the ASF repo serves as
sufficient to have said file under ALv2.

The issue is when a file is in our repo which does not have
that provenance and may be under GPL but we do NOT have
the grant to relicense it. This occasionally happens with
podlings, for example.

As Dave said, occasionally a file will exist in the repo, and
even in releases, that may not actually be ALv2 (or compatible),
at which point it is removed.