www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on consensus, and serenity
Date Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:22:17 GMT
On 15.08.2015, at 04:59, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 8/11/15 4:22 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> Larry, item 1 doesn’t seem to work.  I’ve seen the same “rational”
>> reason posted probably a dozen times.  It isn’t “I don’t want to”. It
>> is that we WANT to allow proprietary companies to be able to take our
>> software, modify it and then do whatever they want with it WITHOUT
>> restrictions.  You have chosen to ignore this every time it has been
>> said.
>
> It's actually simpler than that.  This is not a democracy; it's a
> corporation.  Licensing policy for Apache projects is set by VP, Legal,
> who is appointed by the board.  Since it's clear Jim isn't planning to
> change our licensing policy, many of these threads are moot in terms of
> influencing ASF policies.

I've only recently joined the ASF as a member so I might be missing something...

... but the leaders of the corporation don't own it by divine right, inheritance,
or else - they are elected.

It would be funny to say that any democratic state that deserves being called so
isn't a democracy just because not all decisions are resolved through citizen
votes ;)

Larry and or others who want to make a change could well be able to influence
enough members to eventually vote for somebody else who would change the policy.
Larry is pointing that out every once in a while by remembering folks
of their votes.

Anyway, rallying the masses for a change in government doesn't appear to be
the strategy here - simply because the masses are not on the legal-discuss list.

Cheers,

-- Richard