www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Analytics at ASF
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2015 16:37:48 GMT
On 23.08.2015, at 17:57, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 8:19 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho
> <rec@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Could anybody please briefly summarize or point out if there
>> are any specific things that a PMC that wants to use Google
>> Analytics has to observe - or can the PMC "just do it"?...
>
> I'm not sure if we have foundation-wide guidelines about this but IMO
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/privacy-policy.html is a good way of
> being clear with our website visitors.

My understanding is that the Google themselves require a privacy statement
on those pages that make use of GA - so that is mandatory. But the thread [1]
mentions other points:

- Is it required to make the collected statistics public?

  http://markmail.org/message/7oiekanas7jdzhc4

I understand that Jackrabbit set up a monthly publishing of the stats to the
dev list but is it mandatory to do that?

- Google's terms of services regarding the use of brand names / trademarks

http://markmail.org/message/36fczs4nrxfxldod

Nobody seems to have answered to this mail from Marshall.

Independent from said thread, it appears that no obligation is felt to comply
with an European directive to allow users to opt-out (or rather opt-in) to cookie usage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_on_Privacy_and_Electronic_Communications

At least, I cannot remember having seen and kind of popup on Apache sites so far
asking me to accept the privacy guidelines and/or offering me to opt out of cookie
use (I regularly see such things on other sites).

Is there any stance towards anonymizing the data sent to Google?

    ga('set', 'anonymizeIp', true);

My understanding from various sources in German is that German law requires that
the IP is anonymized. Here is one in English.

http://www.iubenda.com/blog/2013/11/13/ip-anonymization-google-analytics-privacy/

So being a German citizen, would I have to obey that when setting up a website for
an Apache project (I mean with the ASF being a Delaware corporation...)?

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] http://markmail.org/message/36fczs4nrxfxldod