www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: InfoWorld article on LibreOffice and OpenOffice
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 20:10:57 GMT
How do you see this article as being related to third-party license policies? (I can imagine
a couple of ways, but I prefer a few clear statements to hypothesizing).

-- Richard

On 05.08.2015, at 21:41, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> FYI.  I'm sorry to cite "competitive" open source publicity here, but Third Party License
policies matter.  /Larry

> Interoperation is one of the main difficulties organizations have previously faced with
both OpenOffice and LibreOffice. During Munich's multiyear migration from proprietary software
(read: Microsoft), the city's administration decided to go with LibreOffice over OpenOffice
back in 2012. (One cited reason was "the greater flexibility of the project regarding consumption
of open source licenses.") But as of mid-2014, the city has been mulling a switch back to
Microsoft, in part due to user complaints about usability and compatibility.