www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on consensus, and serenity
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 08:50:33 GMT
On 12.08.2015, at 10:33, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...I'm curious how we can work ourselves out of this nagging cycle of
>> Larry encouraging us to be more liberal in our licenses because we
>> legally can and us responding with we don't want to even if we could
>> legally get away with it?...
>
> If the same question is asked over and over it becomes a Frequently
> Asked Question (obviously).
>
> The way we usually handle these is to document the question with its
> answer at a permanent URL, so that if people ask again we can point
> them to it.
>
> In this case I guess http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html might be a
> good place for this FAQ.

I'm not sure if the legal FAQ is the right place.

Let my rephrase how I understand the "question" to which all the discussion IMHO leads up
to:

  Should Apache host projects that are not under the Apache License?

The most specific place the answer to this question seems to be nailed down is here:

  http://apache.org/licenses/

  "All software produced by The Apache Software Foundation or any of its projects or subjects
is licensed according to the terms of the documents listed below."

What about making the licensing requirement also more explicit in the the foundation FAQ?

  http://apache.org/foundation/faq.html

A similar link could be added here

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#philosophy

augmenting the "commercial-friendly standard license" statement.

Cheers,

-- Richard