www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: on consensus, and serenity and MPLv2 and ECL
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 21:08:55 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> .  It isn’t “I don’t want to”. It is that we WANT to allow proprietary companies
to be able to take our software, modify it and then do whatever they want with it WITHOUT
restrictions.  You have chosen to ignore this every time it has been said

I don't ignore it; I contest it as a problem!

Proprietary companies can ALREADY take ALL FOSS software, modify it and then do whatever they
want with it WITHOUT restrictions.

Will you allow FOSS license conditions demanding reciprocity for new derivative works? FOSS
license conditions demanding attribution? FOSS license conditions that the source code and
license of the original work always be made available on the web?  FOSS license conditions
that a NOTICE file be published?  FOSS licenses that don't include patent grants?  FOSS licenses
that have strong patent defense, or those that don't?

Why does that matter to ASF as long as it is FOSS? Are any of the above good reasons to avoid
MPLv2 or ECL components from our reputable sister foundations?

/Larry