www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: InfoWorld article on LibreOffice and OpenOffice
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:51:50 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I would submit that it matters to those consumers of *our* code from *our*
projects.

You may be right. Why don't they speak up for themselves?

In "lawyer-speak" you have an evidentiary problem here. If you are willing
to publish your opinion regarding AOO/LO code as that of Red Hat, or IBM, or
any other Open Office-relevant company, it would give you much greater
credence in court. :-)

But I don't think you'll get permission to do that. What these companies
really need is a great Open Office that they can offer for free to their
customers. As long as they republish our NOTICE file (which already points
to actual copies of all the source code!), it won't matter to them that ALv2
and MPLv2 have been aggregated into an ALv2 distribution. Otherwise, those
companies themselves have no personal interest in making derivative works of
the Open Office aggregation outside of ASF, and they could care less about
individual FOSS licenses they already accept.

The *real* problem for companies like these is that we have created two
separate FOSS communities (AOO and LO) writing code when Apache Software
Foundation could help solve this code aggregation problem for all of us.
Luis Suárez-Potts already wrote eloquently on this list about the challenges
we face.

I personally believe that under a revitalized "Apache Way" the Apache
Software Foundation can provide an excellent home for creative and accepting
FOSS communities and for great software. License passion stands in the way.

/Larry
(speaking as a member of ASF, not a lawyer)