www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: InfoWorld article on LibreOffice and OpenOffice
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 21:23:52 GMT
> How do you see this article as being related to third-party license
policies?

Richard, I'm sorry for the ambiguity. See the highlighted sentence below.
Someone more knowledgeable about Apache OpenOffice should tell us if that
sentence is significant in some way to Apache. /Larry

> Interoperation is one of the main difficulties organizations have
previously faced with both OpenOffice and LibreOffice. During Munich's
multiyear migration from proprietary software (read: Microsoft), the city's
administration decided to go with LibreOffice over OpenOffice back in 2012.
(One cited reason was "the greater flexibility of the project regarding
consumption of open source licenses.") But as of mid-2014, the city has been
mulling a switch back to Microsoft, in part due to user complaints about
usability and compatibility.

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/2877222/office-software/
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/2877222/office-software/libreoffice-44-cle
ans-up-both-its-ui-and-codebase.html>
libreoffice-44-cleans-up-both-its-ui-and-codebase.html

How do you see this article as being related to third-party license
policies? (I can imagine a couple of ways, but I prefer a few clear
statements to hypothesizing).

-- Richard

On 05.08.2015, at 21:41, Lawrence Rosen < <mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> FYI.  I'm sorry to cite "competitive" open source publicity here, but
Third Party License policies matter.  /Larry