www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Third Party FOSS licenses
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2015 03:25:52 GMT
Sam Ruby said:
> ... and ...

It is too late at night for me to analyze compound questions. All I've said is that you MUST
COMPLY with the license conditions of any code you modify.

Every piece of FOSS code contributed into every Apache distribution has a FOSS license associated
with it. Comply with THAT LICENSE when you modify it or distribute that FOSS code.

This all remains true EVEN IF YOU ULTIMATELY DISTRIBUTE THE ENTIRE THING COLLECTIVELY UNDER
A PROPRIETARY LICENSE. Because of attribution notices, the FOSS parts are never completely
hidden. You can always find its source code.  :-)

And if you DON'T modify the Apache product, then simply copying our NOTICE file is enough
to comply with all FOSS licenses on all FOSS components. Nothing easier for mere distributors!

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Ruby [mailto:rubys@intertwingly.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 2, 2015 8:04 PM
To: Legal Discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org>; Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Subject: Re: Third Party FOSS licenses

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Kind of mind-blowing, isn't it? All this time we've been trying to view an Apache work
as some integrated source code artifact that can be turned into hidden proprietary stuff.
That's never been completely true, and with MPLv2 and other FOSS components it is even less
true. But it is still all FOSS.

Again, you elided the key point, and are not addressing the original question.  I'll reword
the question:

Are you saying that it is NEVER possible to simultaneously "obey all the conditions of the
(ALv2) license" and "not ship the source code for my modifications of code originally licensed
under ALv2".?

Are you saying that it is EVER possible to simultaneously "obey all the conditions of the
(MPLv2) license" and "not ship the source code for my modifications of code originally licensed
under MPLv2".?

- Sam Ruby