www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Third Party FOSS licenses
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2015 02:38:10 GMT
Henri Yandell asked several questions:

1) Should it be feasible for a user to remove the code under the reciprocal license?

Feasible? I wouldn't know.  Permitted?  Of course.

1.1) Or is it fine for an ASF product to, effectively, be under a reciprocal license (because
removing the reciprocally licensed code is unfeasible)?

That's fine today!  Apache code is in almost everything nowadays, including in reciprocally
licensed software. I have no idea if removing that code would be unfeasible, but programmers
can do almost everything once they are told by their managers that they must do it for private
business reasons!

2) How easy should the ASF make it for it to be removed? What best practices should be applied?

Why would you ask a lawyer a technical question that is a PMC decision?  :-)

> Collective works are boring. I want to see your examples that are akin to the above -
Microsoft/Google projects under Apache 2.0, that have reciprocally licensed snippets of code
splattered throughout the Apache 2.0 codebase.

I don't know for sure. But go to your Android phone; "Settings"; "About phone"; "Legal information";
"Open source licenses". Or ask Google.

I happen to have a Samsung phone. Its EULA NOTICE also says this: "Certain items of the Software
may be subject to open source licenses. The open source license provisions may override some
of the terms of this EULA. We make the applicable open source licenses available to you on
the Legal Notices section of the Settings menu of your device."

Good work by them!

/Larry