www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Third Party FOSS licenses
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 23:01:50 GMT
I'd like to follow up my previous email with an announcement someday (!!!!) of the following
sort:

Effective with the proposed revision to our ASF Third Party License Policy, Apache contributors
will be able to include Mozilla Firefox and LibreOffice and OpenMRS software in Apache Software
Foundation project software whenever desirable to the ASF projects. Whenever we do so we will
document it in the NOTICE file distributed with our free software, which remains available
with the entire source code from Apache.

In accordance with Apache License 2.0, those independent projects can also continue to use
Apache software.

/Larry

From: Lawrence Rosen [mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2015 3:30 PM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Cc: Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Subject: RE: Third Party FOSS licenses

Henri Yandell wrote:
> So let's say that the contribution includes a piece of code under a license with conditions
on derivative works.

That's likely to happen sooner or later. :-)  The sooner the better.

Then the contributor must comply with that reciprocal license, which will happen when he contributes
it to Apache with the source code. That derivative work remains under the reciprocal license
even though its source is available from and published by Apache and its license is published
in our NOTICE file. I believe that is sufficient compliance with all FOSS licenses.

This is just how Microsoft and Google distribute their collective works with FOSS software
in it.

The entire collective work is independently copyrighted as:

Copyright (C) 2015 The Apache Software Foundation.

This software is licensed to you under ALv2.

Read the NOTICE file.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."