www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Third Party FOSS licenses
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 21:53:02 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/csv/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.java?r1=1638699
<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/csv/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/csv/CSVFormat.java?r1=1638699&r2=1641845>
&r2=1641845

Here we see an arbitrarily chosen contribution. See how the text in the contribution (arguably
the + lines) bears a resemblance to the state before (the - lines). Contribution is a derivative
work of the Apache product.

And so the contributor who entered those + and – lines presumably created a derivative work.
Then he contributed it back to Apache under the ALv2. Even I've used SVN for that kind of
stuff. What's so strange about that? Our website and procedures make that easy.

Apache itself didn't create a derivative work.

/Larry

From: Henri Yandell [mailto:bayard@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2015 2:38 PM
To: ASF Legal Discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org>; Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Subject: Re: Third Party FOSS licenses

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com <mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com>

Henri Yandell wrote:

> What I mean is that most contributions are derivative works

> of the Apache product they are contributing to.

That is a level of recursion (and time travel) that I never imagined. My imagination is weak.
But I'll grant the hypothetical.

It is always true that a derivative work of an ALv2-licensed Apache project may be contributed
back to us under ALv2 or any other appropriate FOSS license. This is good!

?

No time travel.

--

So I'm struggling to understand why you would say that Apache products are a collection of
contributions, and focus on collective works with your analysis of how other FOSS licenses

Hen