www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: InfoWorld article on LibreOffice and OpenOffice
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 02:11:59 GMT
I think the issue is moot.

The avowed flexibility does not seem to have done anything to mitigate complaints about usability
and compatibility, complaints that likely would apply equally to Apache OpenOffice in that
context.

It is not at all clear how the “greater flexibility of open-source licenses” is pertinent
to end-user requirements for use of an ODF-compliant software product in a civil administration
environment.  It might not be immaterial, but apparently it is very low on the ladder of what
matters the most.  I see no relationship between that and whatever interoperability issues
are of great concern in Munich.

-   Dennis

From: Lawrence Rosen [mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 14:24
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Cc: Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Subject: RE: InfoWorld article on LibreOffice and OpenOffice

> How do you see this article as being related to third-party license policies?

Richard, I'm sorry for the ambiguity. See the highlighted sentence below. Someone more knowledgeable
about Apache OpenOffice should tell us if that sentence is significant in some way to Apache.
/Larry

> Interoperation is one of the main difficulties organizations have previously faced with
both OpenOffice and LibreOffice. During Munich's multiyear migration from proprietary software
(read: Microsoft), the city's administration decided to go with LibreOffice over OpenOffice
back in 2012. (One cited reason was "the greater flexibility of the project regarding consumption
of open source licenses.") But as of mid-2014, the city has been mulling a switch back to
Microsoft, in part due to user complaints about usability and compatibility.

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/2877222/office-software/ <http://www.infoworld.com/article/2877222/office-software/libreoffice-44-cleans-up-both-its-ui-and-codebase.html>
libreoffice-44-cleans-up-both-its-ui-and-codebase.html

How do you see this article as being related to third-party license policies? (I can imagine
a couple of ways, but I prefer a few clear statements to hypothesizing).

-- Richard