www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: InfoWorld article on LibreOffice and OpenOffice
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:17:10 GMT
Responding directly to Mark's questions, below,

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Struberg [mailto:struberg@yahoo.de]
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 02:12
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: InfoWorld article on LibreOffice and OpenOffice

[ ... ]

[1] of course they did lots of work in the last 2 years and this new work is ALv2/MPL mixed,
or only MPL? How can a contributor know?

<orcmid> The contributors to LibreOffice have been declaring their contributions are
made under dual MPL+LGPL licenses.  I don't know if they still require the dual grant from
new committers, I don't follow the developer lists.  In either case, those contributions are
not available to AOO under any theory or ASF policy [;<)
</orcmid>

[2] Please help me understand this: this is not a dual-licensed code but a ‚mixed‘ code.
How does this work in practice when it comes to contributions?

<orcmid>
Correct.  The TDF has chosen to envelop the source code as MPL and not exercise the LGPL licensing.
 Of course, the ALv2 code that survives in that code base is still ALv2 code, although it
might be difficult to audit for that and determine the provenance of much except by having
a clone of the repository and checking the change history of individual files or subsections
of the code tree.
</orcmid>

[3] The way I know how to handle such situations is to comment code blocks which are taken
from a differently licensed base. But LO didn’t do that.

<orcmid>
Yes, that does not seem to be the practice.  It is not unusual that such details are left
for others to figure out.  I don't believe that the myth of "relicensing" code applies here,
but one never knows for certain.  The practice that Mark follows is laudible, as are contributing
modifications, especially fixes, to third party code back upstream.

(There are some significant changes to the plumbing of LibreOffice that makes some of this
non-trivial, yet there are still significant blocks of code that are the same.)
</orcmid>

[ ... ]