www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject LEGAL-183 - EPSG database
Date Sat, 11 Jul 2015 19:37:16 GMT
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-183 is a request to include a
database of 'geodetic coordinate transformations'. It's produced by oil/gas
companies and its terms and conditions are here:
http://www.epsg-registry.org/help/xml/Terms_Of_Use.html

I had to go to archive.org to get them though as the site wasn't responding:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131109034846/http://www.epsg-registry.org/help/xml/Terms_Of_Use.html

The license limits the use of the 'EPSG Facilities' (defined as Registry,
Dataset and associated documentation) with "Distribution for profit is
forbidden.". It later goes on to say, for the Dataset, that:

  "The data may be included in any commercial package provided that any
commerciality is based on value added by the provider and not on a value
ascribed to the EPSG Dataset which is made available at no charge. "

Additionally it has conditions regarding modification - the reasoning seems
to be around what modifications can be made while still calling it EPSG
Dataset.

Lastly, the Eclipse board voted to allow its inclusion, and

--

My proposal is that we allow the inclusion of this in Apache projects,
conditioned on it not being modified.

Thoughts in favour/against?

Hen