www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Creative Commons BY 4.0 license compatible?
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:56:30 GMT
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> It is a Cat B license.

Thanks!  I've updated the web site and resolved
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-167.  I appreciate you
keeping true to the principle of being cautious towards licenses that
are felt by downstream consumers to cause heartburn.

It appears that CC-By/4.0 has made significant progress towards being
compatible with other licenses; and perhaps at a later date we can
revisit whether or not that specific version should be moved to
category A.  I personally would discourage us doing until we
understand Mozilla's concerns and seek out other input from downstream
consumers.  If Mozilla either gives a green light, or we determine
that we don't feel that Mozilla's concerns are warranted; and if no
other potential consumer steps forward with valid concerns, then I
would support moving CC-BY/4.0 to category A.

- Sam Ruby