www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Creative Commons BY 4.0 license compatible?
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 11:39:48 GMT
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Pei Chen <chenpei@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is CC BY 4.0 [1] compatible with Apache? Just wanted to confirm if we
> can include them inside Apache projects as source which may or may not
> be extended/modified.
> (The BY alone doesn't seem to have the share-alike clause)
>
> [1] https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

... in other words, treat CC BY 4.0 as category B.  I agree.  In the
process, we really should return to address the following JIRA:

Previous discussions on the matter were derailed by disagreements over
what it meant to be a universal donor, and whether or not being such
was desirable.

That issue is now behind us (see: http://s.apache.org/FjM).  The
definition of universal donor is simple: a license with no
restrictions over and above what the Apache License, Version 2.0 would
compile.

As to the resolution:

CC-BY has no share alike provisions, so it is not Category X.

The license does have restrictions over and above what the Apache
License, Version 2.0 requires.  The authors of the Mozilla Public
License, and of the GNU Public License have deemed CC-By to be
incompatible with those licenses.  It is also incompatible with
various proprietary licenses.  Given that we have resolved that we
desire to be a universal donor, and what that means, this decision
should be an easy one.

Therefore, categorizing CC-BY as category B is appropriate.

None of this is to be taken to indicate that CC-BY isn't a good
license for specific purposes, or that the authors of CC-BY aren't
good people.  In fact the authors of the license state that the intent
of this license was not to be used with code.

That being said, we can have a reasonable discussion as to whether
exceptions for non-code artefacts (things like images and
documentation) could be appropriate.

- Sam Ruby