www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Creative Commons BY 4.0 license compatible?
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:49:19 GMT
On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> > I'm merely stating that that is a restriction, and that that restriction
> is not present
> > in the Apache License, Version 2.
>
> It is not a restriction on anything at all.
>
> The MPL license demands that you comply with the Firefox terms and
> conditions, just as the Apache License demands that you comply with the
> Apache terms and conditions. But they are both FOSS licenses!

Great. Let's reword the underlying statement of the ASF's position on this
matter:

"The ASF does not want any downstream users to have demands imposed upon
them, beyond those of ALv2."

That same wording can be used to delineate Category A and B licenses. And
that wording *is* the current policy of the Foundation. ... Larger Works
that demand a source code release is against our desires.

Cheers,
-g