www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: LEGAL-183 - EPSG database
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:48:15 GMT
+1
> On Jul 13, 2015, at 4:04 AM, Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisseaux@geomatys.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Henri for following on.
>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-183
>>  is a request to include a
>> database of 'geodetic coordinate transformations'. It's produced by oil/gas
>> companies and its terms and conditions are here:
>>
>> http://www.epsg-registry.org/help/xml/Terms_Of_Use.html
>
> The link is now http://www.epsg.org/TermsOfUse but the content is the same.
>

>> Additionally it has conditions regarding modification - the reasoning seems
>> to be around what modifications can be made while still calling it EPSG
>> Dataset.
>>

> This restriction seems similar to Apache 2.0 conditions, in my understanding of the "May
I call my modified code 'Apache'" entry in the http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Name-changes
FAQ. The difference is that, as an extra flexibility, EPSG terms of use authorizes the modified
products to keep the "EPSG" name if the modifications comply to their conditions.

>> My proposal is that we allow the inclusion of this in Apache projects,
>> conditioned on it not being modified.
>>

> We may amend the above proposal with the condition that, if the user modify the database,
he must change the EPSG name to something else.