www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Creative Commons BY 4.0 license compatible?
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:30:45 GMT

> On Jul 23, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> It is a Cat B license.
>
> Thanks!  I've updated the web site and resolved
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-167.  I appreciate you
> keeping true to the principle of being cautious towards licenses that
> are felt by downstream consumers to cause heartburn.

As mentioned a few times, one of the guiding principles is that
we want it to be brain-dead easy for people to use our code.
If people need to "think about it" or, worse, "get the lawyers
involved" (nothing against lawyers of course!!), it is quite
possible that our code will be bypassed and not even considered.
Right now we enjoy the luxury and reputation (well earned and
well deserved) where people consume our code w/o really giving
it a 2nd thought.

Now it is true that this runs the risk of "perpetuating the FUD"
regarding some licenses and their compatibility, especially
in cases where there is no wide-spread agreement amongst the
experts; in those cases, it is prudent to be circumspect and
take the less "risky" PoV.