www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: What is ASF position on plagiarism
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2015 05:13:53 GMT
The intent of the ASF's licensing policy is that any content (including
documentation) developed directly by Apache projects is licensed under
the Apache 2.0 license.  Thus, unless there is some content in an Apache
project release or website that explicitly comes as a block from some
outside author under one of the other acceptable licenses[1], every
thing that Apache projects produce or display is under the Apache license.

Thus, in the general sense, it is allowable (for example) for a
publisher to re-publish an Apache project's website, as long as the
publisher otherwise complies with our license in terms of providing the
necessary LICENSE and NOTICE files or notices.

If there are members of some Apache project *PMC* who have a specific
legal question or complaint about how their project's IP is being used,
then the best bet is to email the legal-internal@apache.org privately
mailing list to ask a specific question.  But if it's merely about other
people copying Apache licensed work, the answer is going to be that we
allow that.

Note that using the Apache license is a requirement for Apache projects.

If there is a case where a publisher truly has copied content without
*any* attribution or mention of the LICENSE, the likely course of action
would be to have the VP of the project or the ASF's VP Legal to email
the publisher to add the appropriate attribution.  In the majority of
cases, publishers are happy to do this once the omission is pointed out
to them.

- Shane

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a