www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.com>
Subject Re: LEGAL-183 - EPSG database
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 08:04:57 GMT
Thanks Henri for following on.

The link is now http://www.epsg.org/TermsOfUse but the content is the same.

> Additionally it has conditions regarding modification - the reasoning seems
> to be around what modifications can be made while still calling it EPSG
> Dataset.

This restriction seems similar to Apache 2.0 conditions, in my
understanding of the "May I call my modified code 'Apache'" entry in the
http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Name-changes FAQ. The
difference is that, as an extra flexibility, EPSG terms of use
authorizes the modified products to keep the "EPSG" name if the
modifications comply to their conditions.

> My proposal is that we allow the inclusion of this in Apache projects,
> conditioned on it not being modified.

We may amend the above proposal with the condition that, if the user
modify the database, he must change the EPSG name to something else.

    Thanks,

        Martin