www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Creative Commons BY 4.0 license compatible?
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:11:09 GMT
Greg Stein proposed:

> Larger Works that demand a source code release is against our desires.

Demand what you are willing to give! Larger Works containing Apache code already impose such
conditions *for that Apache code* within them. :-)

4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works
thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided
that You meet the following conditions: ...

All FOSS licenses contain conditions. Almost all FOSS licenses require some level of attribution
or NOTICE file that will lead licensees to the source code *for that FOSS-licensed code*.
That's the stuff we care about. No FOSS licenses are allowed to restrict licensee actions
or impose conditions *on Larger Works* [1] or binary executables [2].

All FOSS licenses work that way, with the possible exception of the GPL licenses under the
"static linking" doctrine.

/Larry

[1] See OSD #1, "The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the
software as a component of an aggregate software distribution...."

[2] See OSD #2, "The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source
code as well as compiled form...."