www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Creative Commons BY 4.0 license compatible?
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2015 19:18:55 GMT
Let’s step back and look at what inspired the anti-DRM clause.

  1. First, with respect to Creative Commons 4.0 International
     (CC-By 4.0) the deed points out that there can be no
     additional limitations, including technical measures,
     <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>.
        There is a link to
     <https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/License_Versions#Application_of_effective_technological_measures_by_users_of_CC-licensed_works_prohibited>
     as further explanation.
        In 4.0 Effective Technological Measures is now defined
     in License Section 1(d).

  2. The CC-By 3.0 deed points out the same thing, at
     <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>. The license
     does not define "[effective] technological measures" in
     section 1, however.  The restriction of their imposition
     to the extent that they limit downstream rights appears
     to be the same, although in Section 4(a).

  3. The CC-By 2.0 deed has the same requirement against
     additional restrictions as 3.0/4.0.  The restriction is
     covered in License section 4(a).

The examples that I have seen are with respect to delivery of videos via DRM technology that
prevent capturing a copy.  The same is with respect to eBooks (e.g., delivery via DRM-protected
Kindle format on a device that enforces the DRM).

At one point, I saw it suggested that it would be sufficient if the DRMed delivery was accompanied
by an useful means for obtaining the original non-DRM version of the work.  This also seems
to be the case with regard to Section 3(a)(1-2) of CC-by 4.0.  (I find 3(a)(4) more befuddling.)

This seems to be the basic situation.  It appears that providing appropriate and actionable
additional steps to obtain a form of the work in which the license permissions can be fully
exercised might not be fatal.  That seems to be more than an ALv2 licensing would require.

With regard to Apache Projects, I think treating CC-by digital artifacts as Category B is
useful, even though "weak copyleft" is not entirely descriptive of this case.  But in terms
of restricting where such artifacts can appear, Category B is useful in that it doesn't allow
co-mingling with source materials of an Apache Project release.

It is not clear how the "weak copyleft" exception makes sense for the CC-by artifacts, however.
 Namely, where are such artifacts located?  Apache Extras?  It is not as if there is always
a binary distribution that uses/introduces them but the source release would not incorporate
them.  Also, where would these be maintained if authored/derived-from by the project?  It
would appear that they should be maintained and adapted as CC-by, in line with Apache principles.

I fear I have just created a slippery-slope onto Category X.  Or, put differently, it may
be prudent for a project to behave as if CC-by is Category X and see how to get out of depending
on it.

Sheesh.

 - Dennis