www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE for EXE and DMG files
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 06:42:41 GMT

On 6/11/15, 4:37 PM, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

>> On Jun 11, 2015, at 4:15 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For one of our releases, the “convenience binary” is an application,
>>IOW,
>> an EXE on Windows or a DMG file on Mac.  A PMC member is claiming that
>> this distribution needs a LICENSE and NOTICE file per [1] that describes
>> the 3rd-party dependencies that were downloaded (and not bundled in the
>> source distribution) in the compiling and linking of the application.  I
>> would think that for non-Java Windows and Mac applications, where the
>>bits
>> of the 3rd-party dependencies aren't really separable would be an
>> exception to this rule.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>> -Alex
>>

>> [1] 1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
>
>We have to obey all of the requirements of all of the bits in the
>distribution
>that might be copyrighted, including our own and anyone else's.
>How that is accomplished, precisely, depends on all of those bits.
>
>For the Apache License, distribution in binary form requires:
>
>      (a) You must give any other recipients of the Work or
>          Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
>
>      (d) If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
>          distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
>          include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained
>          within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not
>          pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one
>          of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed
>          as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or
>          documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or,
>          within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and
>          wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents
>          of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and
>          do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution
>          notices within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside
>          or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided
>          that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed
>          as modifying the License.
>
>I hope that helps,

Interesting.  I thought an application wasn’t a derivative work because
(from the AL):

    "Derivative Works shall not include works that remain
    separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the interfaces of,
    the Work and Derivative Works thereof.”

Now one of the downloaded libraries we link to is BSD and BSD doesn’t seem
to be so clear on how they define derivative works.  How have other
projects handled this?  Must you have a popup in your GUI that displays
LICENSE and NOTICE?  Can you co-locate LICENSE and NOTICE in the same
folder as the EXE on dist.a.o?  Can you point folks to a web page with the
LICENSE and NOTICE text in it?

Thanks,
-Alex