www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE for EXE and DMG files
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:38:09 GMT
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 11:42 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> Interesting.  I thought an application wasn’t a derivative work because
> (from the AL):
>
>     "Derivative Works shall not include works that remain
>     separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the interfaces of,
>     the Work and Derivative Works thereof.”
>
> Now one of the downloaded libraries we link to is BSD and BSD doesn’t seem
> to be so clear on how they define derivative works.  How have other
> projects handled this?  Must you have a popup in your GUI that displays
> LICENSE and NOTICE?  Can you co-locate LICENSE and NOTICE in the same
> folder as the EXE on dist.a.o?  Can you point folks to a web page with the
> LICENSE and NOTICE text in it?

IANAL, but derivative work is a very simple concept.  A binary formed by
compiling source code is *definitely* a derivative work (could you create
it without reference to the source code?)

The splash screen on Adobe products is a good example of one way to attach
a notice.  That can refer to a file in the executables folder (on a Mac).
Another option is to put a menu item under Help that lets you pop up a
window containing all the notices.

Note that the notices on a convenience binary are typically different from
the notices on the source.