www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Impasses and decision-making
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 09:31:45 GMT
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 2:48 AM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
>>
>> Rich Bowen wrote:

>> See attached. Over to you and to the public!
>>
>> I welcome discussion and friendly amendments.
>>
>> I already sent those emails to this list. If you need them converted into
>> some *required* format, then please do it yourself. That would be helpful,
>> particularly if you post them online in a public Apache wiki or something
>> useful for online democratic processes to take place. I'll help edit. Maybe
>> that will work?
>
> I can only assume the point of a formal proposal is to have a formal vote to
> show the committee is not in favour of the proposal.

Indeed.  Jim already declared general consensus on this matter:
http://s.apache.org/FjM; resubmitting the same proposal or even a
reformatted proposal is not likely to change that.

If closure is what is sought, I would suggest JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/legal/

> Personally I think that should be assumed and the next step is to adapt the
> proposal per the feedback given to see if a consensus can be reached, or to
> shelve the proposals if no adaptation is acceptable to the author.

If there were PMCs (or even PPMCs) eager to try this, I would suggest
getting a pilot program started with those interested; and then to
update that proposal based on experience leading to a best practice,
and potentially ultimately to a ASF wide policy.

If there are no such [P]PMCs, then this proposal should indeed be shelved.

> Hen

- Sam Ruby