www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 09:14:20 GMT
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir@pobox.com> wrote:

> As a bystander, I'm confused.
>
> My understanding is that the patent language in the AL is designed to moot
> the need for this kind of discussion.
>
> Keeping it short, contributors provide a patent license for *any* of their
> patents held by those contributors that would be infringed.
>
> Why would we even want to try to get an enumerated list correct up front
> (and maintain it)?
>
> geir

Thanks Gier,

that's exactly why I'm conflicted...

we don't enumerate copyright contributions.  Why should we need to
enumerate patent contributions?

I can counter this with the fact that every commit message had better
provide appropriate authorship attribution [although, you can't clarify
from the commit whether the committer or their employer owns the copyright
to the commit, granted.]

There is no such transparent vehicle for patents.  What would you (or
others) suggest?