www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal Next: Disclosure of standards Implemented by Apache projects
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 21:57:30 GMT
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> [This was mentioned before but I repeat it as a separate proposal to
> "encourage" yet more conversation here. :-)  ]
>

> Please remember that a NOTICE file should also contain a list of all *industry
> standards* implemented in that Apache aggregation.
>

> Some standards organization licenses REQUIRE such notices of their
> contributions. I think it is a good practice regardless.

I have always placed these in the README, or often times CHANGES,
as it is informational guidance to the user.

If an implementation license demands advertising, such as the license
for a header file we distribute, then it does belong in NOTICE per the
terms of the license.

I believe the preference has been to avoid NOTICE pollution and dilution.