www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 05:03:10 GMT
On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When an Apache project purposely infringes an actual patent that we have
>> a FOSS license to, it would be polite to say something like:
>>

> Pure hypothetical. We don't, so this "solution" is premature. We don't
> know the characteristics of any patents in our products, nor we do know
> what the holders/owners want to do about it.
>
> There are way too many variables, making this hypothetical Q&A just so
> many unwanted bits in the ether. We don't have an actual
> question/situation, so this speculation of what we would do is ...
> speculation.

Calm down, deep breaths everyone.

An incoming project I'm mentoring has - and the custodians and authors
and IP holders are conveying - certain applicable patents.

Untested patents, yes.  I believe they should be described throughout
any ASF vehicles as "patent claims", not purely patents.  Could be
broken.  Might never be broken.  All that aside...

In any case, patents No. X, Y, Z and Q are being passed on through
the AL 2.0 language, and my question is how to reassure anyone who
is reviewing the provenance of the code in question that, yes, these
specific patents are known of and were conveyed to the licensee?