www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 21:35:06 GMT
On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <
Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:

> To point 2) independent implementations are not the concern of the ASF.

Actually, they are.  I independently re-implemented fnmatch here at the ASF,
dual licensing it under the BSD and the AL for the various BSD projects and
Apache APR Project.  At the time the recursive implementation had proven
to be a security risk, and the GNU clib hack/re-implementation would have
been of no help to these communities, due to licensing.

I can envision others taking ASF API's and re-implementing them, and for
us to encourage that, even as a fork within a project or as or within
another
PMC.  What is to protect the ASF in that case, if we don't harvest any AL
patent grants explicitly?