www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 19:41:43 GMT
To point 1) If a patent owner who contributes to an Apache  project wants to notify people
of the existence of those patents then they can do so through a contribution to our documentation.
Nothing is stopping that. We do not need to have a policy to enforce it and thus add yet more
overhead to our PMCs.

To point 2) independent implementations are not the concern of the ASF.

To point 3) We never knowingly infringe on a patent and so this is meaningless. This fact
is stated all over our mailing lists and quite possibly our website too. If it would be helpful
we could have a clear and explicit statement in our  policy docks to the effect  that “either
(1) have a FOSS license to it, or (2) in our early but serious view we don't believe we infringe”
with the addition of “on any patents”.

From: Lawrence Rosen [mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 12:21 PM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Cc: Lawrence Rosen
Subject: RE: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects

A great question has been asked:
> Why should we need to enumerate patent contributions?

We own no patents and, as has repeatedly been pointed out, our ALv2 license itself already
includes a generous patent grant for use and aggregation.

There are at least three other good reasons for us to enumerate patent contributions to ASF:

1. A patent owner can obtain infringement damages only from the date of such a notice. 35
USC 287(a). The patent owner probably wants to have its patents enumerated to protect its
own financial interests in that patent.

2. While certain patent claims have been licensed to ASF under a FOSS license and then to
the world under ALv2, there may be other claims in those patents or (non-derivative) independent
implementations that aren't FOSS-licensed. Take notice.

3. This notice is ASF's defense to willful blindness or willful infringement in an inducing
patent infringement case. It asserts that we know of the patent and either (1) have a FOSS
license to it, or (2) in our early but serious view we don't believe we infringe.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."