www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@sourcepoint.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 12:44:53 GMT
But what's the point of any of this?  There's no reason to require Sneaky Author to enumerate
anything because via contribution via the AL, they have granted a license to anything they
have necessarily infringed by the contribution (or combined contribution and existing work)

And I as the recipient don't really care - I know that via the patent grant in the AL, Sneaky
Author can't come after me for any patents they hold (enumerated or not) that read on the
work they contributed to.

Is there a real problem we're trying to solve?

geir

> On Jun 3, 2015, at 8:25 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 3, 2015, at 6:09 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> My understanding of the AL is that we don't need to be explicit.  If the author of
the code has patents that matter, they are providing a license and they can't sue you.