www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Impasses and decision-making
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2015 01:13:51 GMT

On 06/06/2015 08:31 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Rich Bowen wrote:
>>Ah. Then clearly we are at an impasse. "I think someone should" is quite
> simply not how things happen here. If you feel that this is crazier than
> normal, perhaps you've missed something. That is the definition of
> normal. We are, as I said, a do-ocracy.
>
> Perhaps we are at an impasse. Seems much like that to me too some days.
>
> I vaguely remember that you **require** each Apache project to submit a
> quarterly report that almost nobody reads and that usually says the same
> thing each report. Would you like me to write those also?

Here we go again.

No, Larry, nobody is suggesting that you write reports for projects.
We're suggesting that you do the thing that you claim that only you are
qualified to do.

I have no idea what patents the httpd server might be using, nor do I
know how to find out, nor do I particularly care. You seem to care. Do
something about it. Or not. Whatever.

I do know what RFCs we implement, and we have documented those. In the
documentation. Not in a file with a whimsical name, but actually in the
docs. It's here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/misc/relevant_standards.html

> Incubator and infrastructure committees are **required** to report
> monthly. Want me to write those and save everyone the bother?
>
> I really hate it when board members pretend that The Apache Software
> Foundation is free for every Peter Pan to have fun in. I thought our
> corporate role was to provide professional support – including legally
> strong policies – for open source projects. And then let THEM do it
> themselves.

You are saying that "someone should", while also saying "nobody is
qualified to do this". Surely that means that you're the only one that
can do it. So do it. Or don't do it. But continuing to say, again and
again, that someone should, doesn't seem terribly productive.

You are, of course, at complete liberty to dismiss and mock the way that
Open Source happens, but it happens when people make it happen, not when
people say "someone should."

I'm not speaking as the board. I'm speaking as a PMC member of a couple
of projects. If you think that we're misusing patents (or whatever
terminology you lawyer types like to use) then submit a docs patch. If
you want me to call you Peter Pan, I'd be glad to, but I fail to see
what that would accomplish.

Yes, Peter, here at Apache people scratch their itches, and we enable
random members of the public to come in and scratch their itches. People
who say "someone should" are assumed to be volunteering. If this is
something that itches you, scratch it. Or don't. But please stop
insisting that "someone should."

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon