www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 20:57:27 GMT

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 1:06 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
>

> To the rest of us in Apache projects, though, your expert opinions about patents are
what matters most. So when one of our respected members says "this patent is BS, IMHO" then
I am likely not to be worried tonight. I would much wish that he had said something of more
technical value, and that he was willing to say it aloud in a NOTICE file that bears no ASF
warranties. But regardless, his comment by itself will not result in any willful infringement
damages to Apache or anyone else.

If I had something useful to say about a patent a NOTICE file would be the last place I would
want to say it.  IMO, it would be much more effective to say it somewhere it would be more
likely to be noticed (pun intended) such as http://www.peertopatent.org/ <http://www.peertopatent.org/>
orhttp://ip.com/prior-art-database/ <orhttp://ip.com/prior-art-database/>.

Ralph