www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE for EXE and DMG files
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:37:06 GMT
> On Jun 11, 2015, at 4:15 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> For one of our releases, the “convenience binary” is an application, IOW,
> an EXE on Windows or a DMG file on Mac.  A PMC member is claiming that
> this distribution needs a LICENSE and NOTICE file per [1] that describes
> the 3rd-party dependencies that were downloaded (and not bundled in the
> source distribution) in the compiling and linking of the application.  I
> would think that for non-Java Windows and Mac applications, where the bits
> of the 3rd-party dependencies aren't really separable would be an
> exception to this rule.
>
> Thoughts?
> -Alex
>

> [1] 1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle

We have to obey all of the requirements of all of the bits in the distribution
that might be copyrighted, including our own and anyone else's.
How that is accomplished, precisely, depends on all of those bits.

For the Apache License, distribution in binary form requires:

      (a) You must give any other recipients of the Work or
          Derivative Works a copy of this License; and

      (d) If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its
          distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must
          include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained
          within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not
          pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one
          of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed
          as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or
          documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or,
          within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and
          wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents
          of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and
          do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution
          notices within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside
          or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided
          that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed
          as modifying the License.

I hope that helps,

....Roy