www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject Contents of the Gazornenplatz file
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 00:29:44 GMT
When you and I speak about the format and content of the GAZORNENPLATZ file, I am reminded
of my commercial contract work for software support companies. I write the legal agreement
itself, of course, but then I tell them that the details of the project require a "Statement
of Work" (SOW) that they must write themselves.

You probably write literate and useful SOWs. The rest may hire me as a litigation attorney
someday. The same can be said of the contents of a GAZORNENPLATZ (or NOTICE) file.

I sent this to legal-discuss@ on 5/18:

***************************

Contents of the NOTICE File

The NOTICE file that accompanies every formal distribution of software by an Apache project
identifies each third-party component in that software and the open source or Creative Commons
license under which that component is available to the public. The following information,
if available, will also be included in the NOTICE file:

* Copyright notices supplied by the licensor(s) of any part of the software. Apache project
teams may elect to remove individual copyright notices that detract from the "community" ethos
of the project, but individual copyrights will still be protected by a legally-effective and
encompassing copyright notice such as "Copyright (C) 2015 The Apache Software Foundation."

* Patent notices identifying specific patents or patent claims that may read on the software.
Contributors and all project team members are expected to disclose any patent claims of which
they are aware. In the event that possible patent claims may be confidential, the contributor
must disclose enough about them to alert the public about possible future encumbrances.

* Identification of industry standards implemented by the software.

* Apache projects and contributors may also include acknowledgement and attribution to individuals,
companies or other organizations for significant portions of the software or its documentation,
or who contributed in other ways to the project as a whole.

* Other important notices that the Apache project team or its contributors want to share with
the downstream users of that software.

To this I would add a policy statement relating to SPDX notices. I am waiting for an SPDX
expert to recommend that policy for Apache.

/Larry