www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject Gazornenplatz
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:05:03 GMT
I call this a NOTICE file for convenience and obstinacy. I believe that Jim Jagielski now calls
it a GAZORNENPLATZ. /Larry

From: William A Rowe Jr [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:58 PM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org; Lawrence Rosen
Subject: Re: Proposal Next: Disclosure of standards Implemented by Apache projects

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com <mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
> wrote:

[This was mentioned before but I repeat it as a separate proposal to "encourage" yet more
conversation here. :-)  ]

Please remember that a NOTICE file should also contain a list of all industry standards implemented
in that Apache aggregation.

Some standards organization licenses REQUIRE such notices of their contributions. I think
it is a good practice regardless.

I have always placed these in the README, or often times CHANGES,

as it is informational guidance to the user.

If an implementation license demands advertising, such as the license

for a header file we distribute, then it does belong in NOTICE per the

terms of the license.

I believe the preference has been to avoid NOTICE pollution and dilution.