www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject Proposal Next: Disclosure of standards Implemented by Apache projects
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2015 21:52:25 GMT
[This was mentioned before but I repeat it as a separate proposal to
"encourage" yet more conversation here. :-)  ]

Please remember that a NOTICE file should also contain a list of all
industry standards implemented in that Apache aggregation.

Some standards organization licenses REQUIRE such notices of their
contributions. I think it is a good practice regardless.

Note that this is also a very short-hand way of identifying many of the
patents that read on that ALv2 software without repeating the information.
Standards organizations such as W3C and IETF and others go to great lengths
to document relevant patent claims and to ensure that ASF and others have
appropriate FOSS-friendly patent licenses for ALv2 aggregations.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."