www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 21:20:43 GMT
YES PLEASE Ralph!

I am a strong supporter of the Peer to Patent <http://www.peertopatent.org/>
activity. One of the companies I've long had an interest in has some patents
that were introduced through that process and validated and issued by the
PTO much more quickly because of that. Apache members should contribute
opinions and prior art at Peer to Patent please.

That has nothing to do with an Apache NOTICE file. Different people will
notice it (pun intended).

/Larry

From: Ralph Goers [mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:57 PM
To: Legal Discuss; Lawrence Rosen
Subject: Re: Proposal: Disclosure of patents by Apache projects

On Jun 2, 2015, at 1:06 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com
<mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com> > wrote:

To the rest of us in Apache projects, though, your expert opinions about
patents are what matters most. So when one of our respected members says
"this patent is BS, IMHO" then I am likely not to be worried tonight. I
would much wish that he had said something of more technical value, and that
he was willing to say it aloud in a NOTICE file that bears no ASF
warranties. But regardless, his comment by itself will not result in any
willful infringement damages to Apache or anyone else.

If I had something useful to say about a patent a NOTICE file would be the
last place I would want to say it.  IMO, it would be much more effective to
say it somewhere it would be more likely to be noticed (pun intended) such
as http://www.peertopatent.org/ orhttp://ip.com/prior-art-database/.

Ralph