www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Apache Third Party License Policy
Date Wed, 20 May 2015 02:34:30 GMT
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> We all here probably understand by now that what I'm proposing is
> different from the way that ASF previously operated. But this new policy
> would allow Apache projects to aggregate any FOSS software whenever they
> need it.
>

> Wouldn't anyone here benefit from that even though they would have to
> reciprocate for some of their derivative works?

I don't think those here represent all of the projects. With a project hat
on, the hypothetical idea of such code being in the code I've mainly worked
on (Commons libraries), makes me feel I'd have to go into hiding. That's a
lot of Android apps (for example), that will be shocked to discover (due to
lack of reading of NOTICE files) that they are now a derivative work of a
work under a reciprocity-based license. I'm sure there are examples that
would like such a policy.

JIRA tickets (past, but also new ones being opened), and to a lesser extent
the archives for this list, are where you would find such examples.

I very much liked your concluding paragraphs (although I reserve comments
> about the word "dependencies") and I repeat them here:

Noting that I also liked Bill's concluding paragraph :)

Hen