www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License Policy (Was: TDF/LO talks status.)
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 18:24:32 GMT
On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:

> Even under the proposed policy, for users around the world the decision to
> use Apache products remains "brain-dead" easy. For modifying
> re-distributors, all that changes is that they will have to read our NOTICE
> files and comply with all relevant licenses when they create derivative
> works.

This is contrary to my experience and judgement in 40 years of involvement
of open source.  It is the blanket nature of the Apache policy that makes
adoption easy.  Relaxing that would negate that and require substantially
deeper investigation for each Apache dependency.

It is true that complete, dependency by dependency analysis is required at
acquisition time or each time a funding round is completed, but it is very
common for complete detailed dependency analysis to be deferred in the case
of Apache projects, precisely because people know to trust the due
diligence required to do an Apache release.  Degrading the simplicity of
the promise that we make is a real problem and allowing GPL non-optional
dependencies does exactly this.